With four young boys at home, these are our ‘Meals’ during the lockdown.
Nothing beats donuts, with toppings of your choice.
- 500g plain flour
- 250ml warm water
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g butter
Wash your hands and then:
- Melt 100g butter and let it cool.
- To make the dough: Combine 5 tablespoons flour, sugar, yeast and warm water. Stir it (use spoon or hand) clockwise and gently until dissolved.
- Then add 6-8 tablespoons flour (1-2 tablespoons at the time) and mix it (I prefer hand mixing).
- Then add egg yolks, milk powder and melted butter. Mix it.
- Add the remaining flour, then mix and knead until elastic dough forms. Cover bowl for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the cover and quickly knead the dough to release the air.
- Shape the dough into a ball, and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Flat the balls gently and make a hole.
- Fry the donuts for 45 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. (You could add shortening).
- Let the donuts cool and you add any toppings you want.